Secrets of a Direct Mail & Personalized URL (PURLs) Sales Maverick
Ben Shenk, a national sales rep with Summit Direct Mail, has helped many large companies achieve their lead generation goals using direct mail campaigns and Personalized URLs (“PURLs”) at scale.
When Ben joined Summit in 2007, he had never seen a PURL before — but after seeing the company’s success with Citibank, using PURLs, he quickly learned as much as he could about the technology.
Ben now does several million PURLs per month, mostly designed to generate leads for his clients in a variety of verticals, including financial services and insurance.
PURLs and Direct Mail: Ben’s Secrets
For years, Ben has worked closely with high-volume direct mailers to generate leads, boost response rates, and increase revenue. He does this by weaving together multi-channel marketing automation, PURLs, and other customized solutions that combine on- and off-line channels.
If you’ve ever wondered what it takes to achieve sales and marketing success in highly complex scenarios, Ben’s interview is for you.
You’ll learn Ben’s sales process, including how he:
- Pushes an opportunity forward (revealing the exact questions he asks – they should work for you, too)
- Focuses his initial pitch around two PURL strengths: lifting response, and reducing call center costs — and how he finds companies with problems in these areas
- Sometimes discourages clients from including a phone number on their direct mail (you’ll hear Ben’s view on why a PURL is the cheapest way to get a response)
- Has identified that “abandoned traffic” is some of the most valuable traffic there is (and the exact strategy he uses to turn what others consider failure into fruitful leads)
- Prefers not to charge campaign set-up fees (and what he does instead)
Latest posts by David Rosendahl (see all)
- What’s MindFire Da Vinci? – February 8, 2018
- ExactTarget Policy Change Frustrates Agencies, Printers, Service Providers – December 12, 2017
- Marketing Automation as You Know It Is Dead – October 5, 2017